Unit 1 “This I No Longer Believe” Essay Reflection Statement

Essay 1 Reflection

For the first, “This I no longer believe” essay I utilized imagery and metaphors to demonstrate an experience that formed and influenced my original belief that once a person’s life was headed in a certain direction that they were destined to be hopeless. I recalled what I saw and what I felt seeing my mother in that room, in a way that not only invoked my emotion but would invoke the same emotions in the reader to help them understand my original belief. After my initial belief, I went on to describe how my life went on with this belief, not trying in school, not attempting to do it even for my family, using chronological order to explain this belief. I spoke of how my resulting failures from this downward spiral belief were only limited enough to let me get to the 6th grade, this helped me build up a certain tension through recollecting the events to my eventual perspective-altering moment. Then I introduced the class and teacher in which I had the realization. My use of dialogue and emotional statements of course helped portray my feelings just before the change but also perfectly set up how I was to talk about the assignment she gave me. Firstly I made the assignment seem insignificant to highlight again my old thought process, then flowered upon an epiphany that I had when I had been completing that assignment. I described the connection I discovered between Newton and me which led me to gain this sense of free will in life again. I believe having chosen this life epiphany is what made the essay the most improved after the imagery, because of its logical alignment. Finally, what truly topped the essay was the use of the witty Apple connection at the end of the paper, this is so great as it not only connects precisely to Isaac Newton’s iconic story but because it symbolizes sudden and momentous realization. The critical parts of Unit one used to enhance this essay included imagery, metaphors, pathos, and logos. The pathos is used to convey an emotional transformation to the reader, and the logos to make the reader logically sympathize with my younger self’s ideals.